Thursday, April 15, 2010

Meetings Galore!

Hope you like meetings cause when you are a CA, you have to go to a lot of them.

I've been through my share of meetings for classes and clubs but I've never been to so many meetings as I've been when I became a CA. Twice a month, I have my one-on-one meetings with my direct supervisor. I tend to keep my meetings quick with him. Since I'm a returner, I got the job under control and I keep a good track of my floor.

Once a week, we have staff meetings. Staff meetings can either be fun or very boring. Most of my staff meetings are very boring. We basically attend another class once a week for two hours. We have our Senior CA time which is not necessary, in my opinion. We are given information about upcoming events, workshops and other activities for us and our residents. With our staff, we usually have a plea session about someone working open hours at the desk because we are understaffed and we've been overworked since August. Not many people can work hours or want to. Our ProStaff presents the meeting to us but we get tired of hearing them talk. And it doesn't help that we can be a very talkative staff so that takes away time that could have been used to go through the material faster.

We also have our committee meetings that we have to attend to. Each staff member is assigned to a committee whether be it leadership, staff development, facilities, etc... We have to attend those meetings and report back to our ProStaff during staff meeting. We haven't done too much in the committees but I feel that we have done enough.

In addition, we have to attend programs and meetings held by Hall Council, RHA or CCA. Hall council meetings are short, 15-30 minutes mostly and they get right to the point. They also have free food so a good chunk of the CAs do like to attend those meetings. RHA or Residence Hall Association meetings, from what I've heard, can last forever. It's basically the policy side of reslife. There are constitution updates, appointments, candidates announcing their runs for an office or a number of other things. I've either have class at that time or I have club meetings so I've never been to a RHA meeting. CCA or Council of Community Assistants present CA matters and other topics for discussion. it's a fairly short meeting, 30-45 minutes and there is a lot of discussion between everyone in the room.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word! How do you have time to do anything else with all of those meetings? I give you my applause because being a full time student and going to all those meetings while still trying to do the rest of your job that doesn't involve meetings is a lot to juggle! I think having to attend all of those meetings on such a routine basis would make it a little bit easier to schedule your life but on the flip side I would think that they would become too repetitive and boring. Although, I bet it is great practice to get you prepared for the professional world.

    ReplyDelete