Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Desk Adventures

When you work at a place for any amount of time, you see and hear things that are amusing, odd and sometimes nerve wracking. Especially when you work at a university, late a night.

As I've mentioned before, I used to work late nights at the desk. These are high peak times, especially Friday night/Saturday morning. You see all sorts of people in various levels of intoxication.

I've seen people try to crawl past the desk to sign in, run past the desk to get into the building, girls dressed in almost nothing to go to frat parties in December... it's an interesting job. I've also seen people try to seek beer and wine into the building and holding it while they explain to me "oh, it's not alcohol, its just a vase that you hear in my suitcase".

People have actually run away from here when I ask them "if there is anything that is not allowed in the building, you better toss it now. People have come in with blood on their faces, people have come in carrying another person who is hopefully passed out. People have started to fight outside of the front doors, police have arrested and cuffed residents for reason I don't know. Residents have actually stolen IDs and tried to gain access to the building only to be stopped by the ID readers by the door. When asked if their ID works, they eventually fess up and I tell them to leave.

Some residents are very dumb when it comes to getting pass me at the desk. People have waited very close to the doors that lead into the building, waiting for someone to open so they can get into the building. People have sworn up and down that they live here and when asked simple questions about living here like "what's your room number?" or "who is your roommate?", they try to act all cool and make up excuses.

As the semester and year goes on, I don't see as much stupid behaviors from residents. They generally know the rules and so do their guests. It is usually the first three weeks where I see the majority of these situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment