Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Duty Stories Part Two

This duty story is from late February/early march of last year.

Myself and my duty partner were on our last walks of the night and in the last building our of duty round. We decided to sepreate on the first floor (this building has an outdoor courtyard and we can see each other the entire time). After I completed my side of the floor, my duty partner starts to wave his hands around to get my attention. I come over to see what's going on. He tells me to be quiet and listen to the door. As I pressed my ear up to the door, I could hear ping pong balls being bounced. My duty partner tells me that they are playing beer pong so we knock to check it out.

As someone opens the door, we can see 6 people in the room, cans of beer everywhere and people are upset. I decided to take the lead on this duty situation and start asking questions, doing observations and telling them to pour out their beer. My duty partner is taking down notes and collect information from the residents. It was all good until this very intoxicated residents decides to confront me. She's yelling at me, demanding to know why I'm doing this to her and her friends. I calming explain that it's our job to do this, we need to document everyone on the room and my duty partner is backing me up, so we can present a unified front. As I start to back out of the room, the intoxicated girl still yelling at me and her friend is trying to make her calm down, I notice in the crack of the door, that there is a person hiding between the door and the wall. I point this out to my duty partner and he calls the guy out. I couldn't believe that he was hiding! As my duty partner was documenting him and asking him why he was hiding, this girl was not letting up. I started to talk to her again, in a calm manner and all of a sudden she starts to cry. For no reason. I nervously glance at my duty partner because I am very comfortable with the situation now and I have no idea what to do.

Thankfully, he was done getting all the residents information and quotes from what people have said, so we left. He told me that I did a great job for only being on the job for a few months.

A few weeks later, I am at the desk and this girl comes to the desk. It was the same intoxicated girl that confronted me. She wanted to apologize to me and handed over a letter. She said that she was embarrassed that things had gone that far and she wasn't acting like herself. I accepted her apology and she left. I still have that letter. It's not often that CAs get apology letters from residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment